Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Perfect Shadow by Brent Weeks

Brent Weeks, author of the The Night Angel trilogy has written a Durzo Blint novella  

“I got a bit of prophecy,” the old assassin said. “Not enough to be useful, you know. Just glimpses. My wife dead, things like that to keep me up late at night. I had this vision that I was going to be killed by forty men, all at once. But now that you’re here, I see they’re just you. Durzo Blint.”

 You can read about it  here

I just ordered me a signed copy *does happy dance* I'm so stoked! The Night Angel trilogy was the kind of read where I almost cried reading the last page of the last book. I just didn't want it to end, ever.

If you haven't read anything by this guy, you are missing out on some great story telling. The Night Angel trilogy is a sort of coming of age story, I guess,  but Azoth is not your ordinary orphan criminal hero, he is training to become a wetboy. Definition of a wetboy may be explained thus; An assassin sometimes calls his victims "target", because he sometimes misses. A wetboy calls his victims "deaders", because he never misses. He's not only trying to survive his childhood, he's trying to survive it while learning to become a magic-using assassin. Durzo Blint is his master and mentor. A  mean, ole', nasty assassin master. (I, naturally, LOVE this character) While growing up and becoming a man, he becomes a pawn in the large game of intrigues and politics that takes place in the huge intriguing universe where these stories take place. A slightly different type of story, gritty and dirty, with a rather dark humour that appeals to me. If dark fantasy appeals to you, if you liked Scott Lynch' Lies of Locke Lamora, you'll enjoy The Night Angel trilogy.

He's started on a new trilogy The Lightbringer - the first book The Black Prism I enjoyed a lot. Very different from the Night Angel books, but with that same dark humour that I love.

I don't often advertise authors and their work, but this guy, he's worth checking out and his work is worth my time blogging about it

No comments:

Post a Comment