Monday, July 30, 2012

A not-review of andrey Kurkov's Penguin series

I have the best SIL. I've only got one, but she's the best, even so, I just know. She gives book-gifts. Weird little books I haven't heard of, or books I've craved. This year, she brought a huge pink potted Hortensia and 3 books. John Steinbeck's Cannery Row, (crave!) Jonathan Safran Foer's Everything is Illuminated (Iknow nothing about this book, but the cover certainly has my curiousity piqued). and Andrey Kurkov's "Penguin Lost" . It's the second Penguin book - I call them "The Penguin series", because one of the main characters is one of those huge Emperor penguins. His name is Misha. He's the pet and friend of the main character, Viktor. It's a dark comic thriller drama...fuck that dog!

- after the 6th time of letting-dog-in/out-from/on-the-veranda-chore this evening

I don't really know what genre to put it in. If you haven't read it, you're missing out on a little gem. Or, I think so, at least. It's not a fast paced ,stomach churning action book. I found it riveting in a laid back sorta way.  It just takes you on a journey and lets you get a glimpse into the Eastern European mentality, culture and life. More than anything, perhaps it shows the Eastern European pace.
Traditions are strong. There is the right thing to do and there is the right time to do it. And then there are opportunities happening and maybe you didn't plan it exactly this way, but hey, you play what you get, you know? AND THERE IS A PENGUIN AS A MAIN CHARACTER, FOR CRISSAKE!

I'm jumping into the world of Penguin Lost to meet Viktor and Misha again. 50 pages in and I know I'm in for a helluva ride =D

Oh, guess what? Had a 'sexy housework in heels' search keyword again today. How disappointed these dudes/dudettes must be when my page shows up.

No comments:

Post a Comment