Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Procrastination

I am a master of procrastination.

Especially when it comes to doing things that aren't necessary for survival, that I don't much like doing. Like getting the last of the curtains sewn up and hung up.











I wasn't interested in using the sewing machine as a kid. Or it may be that I wasn't allowed near it, I'm a bit fuzzy on that. I was your typical hyper kid with 11 thumbs that accidentally knocked things down and thus spent much of her childhood outdoors.  

"GET OUT! I don't want to see you or hear you until lunch! Oh, and don't you dare NOT come home for lunch, yah hear!?!"

Oooh memories - my dear loving mom...

 I tried to learn myself how to use a sewing machine when I got older and had gotten the kids. I asked her to let me borrow hers and fix a few jeans and other clothes that needed mending (Yes, I'm old enough to have lived back in the days where mending clothes was an ordinary thing to do, instead of throwing them away to buy new ones) I started off with positive thinking "How hard can this shite really be?!?" type of mindset. After a time of my mom hanging over my shoulder with helpful comments of the sort:

"Oh, stop it! You're holding it all wrong. Oh gawd, I can't watch, you give me brain-ticks!" 

She finally grabbed the work and told me to GET OUT and not be seen or heard until she was done. I never asked her to borrow it again.

I'm using my MIL's sewing machine now. She's been kind enough to teach me a few tricks and will let me use her machine whenever I need it. Sadly, this doesn't mean that my skillz behind the darn thing has improved much, though.

 

The sewing machine is still a bit of a mystery time machine. It's like it becomes instantly magic around me.
 
After 10 minutes behind the thing and I'm 12 years old with all thumbs and before I know it I'm cutting off the wrong end of the curtain.









 Yes, I did that. Don't ask. I can't really explain it. It's the kind of things that happen when you suddenly and thoroughly develop all thumbs. 

 I did manage to fix it, so that nobody will be the wiser for it. Except from those people who find faults with everything and anything, but I don't really care about those.





 I didn't have to sew them all, thankfully. These are the new curtains. They're thin and tricky to sew as you have to be particular not to pull, or stretch the fabric or it'll come out all wrinkly and odd-looking.







Alright, now I've procrastinating sewing a couple more hours. I better get started. I have to finish today.


 Helene is coming home tomorrow and the two of us are taking Georg with us up to the mountain farm for a few days. Perhaps we'll be joined by my sister and niece. I want to be able to enjoy myself without the weight of unfinished sewing work hanging around my neck like a chain of doom



Hope you guys have a great week.





No comments:

Post a Comment